IAA Website - Saturday, November 28, 2020 2:02 AM

Under the Irish Aviation Authority (Personnel Licensing) Orders, a pilot of a microlight aeroplane is required to hold a Private Pilot Licence (Microlight) (abbreviated "PPL(M)"). A person learning to fly a microlight aeroplane must hold a Student Pilot Licence (abbreviated "SPL") before flying the aeroplane alone ("solo" flying) and he/she may only fly solo when authorised by an appropriately licensed Flight Instructor (see below).

Details of Licensing requirements can be found in Aeronautical Notice P17.

Requirements for Training

A person wishing to obtain a PPLY for a microlight must undergo a course of ground (Theoretical Knowledge) and flight training which is set out in an approved syllabi. This training will have to carried out at a Registered Training Facility (Microlight) (RTF(M)) approved by the IAA for this purpose.. Flight training covers normal and emergency procedures in general handling and cross-country navigation exercises. A minimum of 30 hours total flight time must be obtained, which must include 10 hours of 'solo' time and the required qualifying solo cross country flight. (Note: Microlight pilots are not required to undergo the 5 hours of instrument / radio navigation training required by conventional aeroplane pilots.) Ground training covers airframe and engine technical knowledge, aircraft performance and ‘weight & balance', meteorology (weather), navigation theory and flight planning, air law (Rules of the Air), radio communications (including Air Traffic Control procedures) and Human Performance & Limitations (the medical, physical and psychological aspects of flying). Theoretical Knowledge Examinations must be taken through the IAA in 9 subject areas. 

Persons who can give Microlight Training

Training must be undertaken with a qualified microlight aeroplane Flight Instructor (abbreviated "FI[M]") operating within a RTF(M). Such an instructor will hold aPPLon which is endorsed a Flight Instructor Rating for the microlight aeroplane classes in which he/she is qualified to instruct. The RTF(M) where instruction is being undertaken must be registered with the IAA for that purpose and shall have a Certificate of Registration which must be displayed in a prominent place within the premises.

Microlight Pilot Medical Requirements

Before going solo on a Student Pilot Licence (SPL), or being issued with a Private Pilot Licence (PPL), a person must pass a medical examination for a Class 2 Medical Certificate. This examination must be undertaken with a doctor who is nominated as an Aeromedical Examiner (AME) by the IAA.

Important information regarding cookies and the IAA.ie

By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the IAA Cookie Policy. For more information on cookies, see our cookie policy.