banner-desktop banner-mobile

The Latest News From the IAA

Manorcastle Limited (Trading as United Travel) See FAQ's

15 Dec 2008

Manorcastle Limited, trading as United Travel, Clonkeen Road, Dean’s Grange, Co. Dublin.

The Commission confirms that Manorcastle Ltd., trading as United Travel, applied for a new tour operator’s licence on 1 December 2008.

In examining that application, the Commission has sought additional information and supporting documentation from Manorcastle Ltd/United Travel to enable the application to be processed.

Based on the information the Commission has received to date, very serious questions remain as to the ability of Manorcastle Ltd/United Travel to fulfil its contractual obligations for overseas travel.

The position remains, therefore, that Manorcastle Ltd/United Travel is not currently licensed to trade as a Tour Operator.

The Commission reiterates its view that, under these circumstances, Manorcastle Ltd should wind up the business in an orderly fashion and refund its customers.

Commission for Aviation Regulation

15 December 2008.


FAQs: Consumer rights to Refunds from Tour Operators and Travel Agents. 

Will I get a refund if I cancel my trip?

You should check the terms and conditions of your booking contract to find out how much can be refunded if you cancel. You may lose some or all of your money depending on your departure date. However, you may be able to claim back some money if you have the appropriate travel insurance coverage.

Will I get a refund if my Tour Operator/Travel Agent cancels my trip?

If a Tour Operator/Travel Agent cancels your trip, you are entitled to a full refund.

What if the Tour Operator/Travel Agent refuses to refund me?

Contact the Commission and we will contact the Tour Operator/Travel Agent immediately. Where a Tour Operator/Travel Agent fails to fulfil a contract and then fails to refund sums received, the Commission is enpowered to draw down that Tour Operator/Travel Agent Bond and arrange a refund from that source.
Do I have to accept an alternative flight date if the Tour Operator/Travel Agent offers it instead of a refund?
No. You contracted to travel on a certain date and therefore you do not have to accept an alternative flight date. You may do so if you find this arrangement more convenient for you.

If a Tour Operator/Travel Agent licence to trade has expired and they been refused a new licence, what should I do?

A Tour Operator/Travel Agent can continue to trade if they are refused a licence provided they lodge an appeal and are bonded continuously from the licensed period to the appeal period without any break. Please check the Commission’s website on for details of any specific Tour Operator/Travel Agent.

What if a Tour Operator/Travel Agent loses the Appeal?
The Tour Operator/Travel Agent could assign bookings to another licensed Tour Operator/Travel Agent with the permission of the consumer and the consent of the Commission. Otherwise, the Tour Operator/Travel Agent must refund the consumer as the they can no longer trade or fulfil the travel contract.

What if a Tour Operator/Travel Agent who loses an Appeal refuses to refund me or ceases to trade?

The Commission will arrange a refund to you from the Tour Operator/Travel Agent bond.

How long will that refund from the Bond take?

Claims for refunds are processed according to date of departure. Depending on the volume of claims received. A claim for refund may take 6 to 12 weeks approximately.

Please continue to monitor our website for additional FAQs