Safety Management Training [Classroom-based]
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) is pleased to announce the return of its much sought after and now updated Introduction to Safety Management Systems (SMS) course. This course will guide the participant through the ICAO fundamentals of SMS and relevant regulations within the aviation sector.
This step-by-step course will gradually lead the participant through an overview of global SMS, through to the basic concepts of SMS under the main headings of safety planning and operation while gaining an insight into the regulatory structures of SMS through ICAO Annex 19, Safety Regulation, EU Aviation & EASA Law, National Aviation Law and the State Safety Plan (SSP).
Each day knowledge gained will be further enhanced through interactive case study’s which will be led and debriefed by subject matter experts.
Who will benefit from attending this course?
This course is suitable for people from various industries and sectors with a requirement for knowledge of safety management systems. This may apply to the general transport sector where aviation safety management systems are highly regarded globally.
Specifically in aviation, this will apply to accountable managers for Operations, Training Organisations, MRO/CAMO, Aerodromes, Air Navigation Service Providers, Air Traffic Control Services, National Aviation Authority inspectors and Competent Authority Personnel, Airline Auditors and Defence Audit personal, Compliance Monitoring staff and Safety Management Staff, Flight Operations Staff, Military Safety Personnel and any persons interested in Aviation safety.
The IAA is committed to using differing learning techniques that ensure every learner can fully engage with our courses. This course combines classroom based, peer to peer engagement, self-reflection, and experiential learning techniques to help you achieve the best possible learning outcomes.
What Safety Management Systems content is included?
This course comprises SMS introductory level modules, including:
- Introduction - Global Aviation Safety and Safety Management.
- Safety Planning to include- management commitment and responsibilities, safety accountabilities, appointment of key safety personnel, coordination of Emergency Response Planning ERP, Hazard Identification and just culture.
- Safety Operation - Safety Risk Management to include-Risk Assessment and mitigation, Safety Assurance, Safety performance monitoring and measurement, and the management of change.
- Aviation Regulation-an overview of -EU Aviation Law & EASA, National Aviation Law, State Safety Plan, ICAO Annex 19 and Safety Regulation, SARPS, Doc 9859 Safety Management, EASA Management System requirements (part ORO).
- Daily case studies to draw on practical aspects of theory learned.
- Introduction to CAMO/Part 145 SMS
- Introduction to aviation security management and safety management systems.
The course is offered in English.
Price for the 3-day Safety Management Systems classroom-based course - €1,320
Price for the 3-day Safety Management Systems online-based course - €1,050
Classroom room based dates
- 12 - 14 March 2024
- 1 - 3 October 2024
Online course dates
- 14 - 16 May 2024
Register your interest
Please use the below form
* For course booking terms and conditions, click here.
“We process all personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Laws. To know more about how we handle your personal data please refer to our General Privacy Notice.”