The operation and maintenance of navigation systems in Ireland is subject to the following regulations, standards and recommended practices.
- Annex 10 to the convention on International Civil Aviation, (Volume 1, Radio Navigation Aids). ICAO publications can be purchased via ICAO website.
- ICAO Doc 8071, Volume 1, Manual on Testing of Radio Navigation Aids. ICAO publications can be purchased via ICAO website.
- Single European Sky legislation which covers the essential elements for a seamless European Air Traffic Management System together with EU Implementing Regulation 1035/2011 which lays down common requirements for the provision of air navigation services.
- Eurocontrol Safety Regulatory Requirements (ESSARs)
- Irish Aviation Authority (Air Traffic Services Systems) Order 2004, 2004. S.I. No. 855 of 2004.
Approvals to establish or use a navigation system are issued by the IAA subject to the following requirements:
- A compliance matrix from the manufacturer verifying that the system design meets the standards and recommended practices of Annex 10.
- An EC Declaration of Verification and a technical file in accordance with EU Regulation 552/2004.
- An EC Declaration of Suitability for Use in accordance with EU Regulation 552/2004.
- Evidence that the ATM Service provider has implemented a Software Safety Assurance system in accordance with the mandatory provisions of EU Regulation 482/2008.
- Evidence that the ATM Service provider has implemented a Safety Management System in accordance with ESARR 3, ESARR 4 and Regulation 1035/2011.
- Evidence that ATM engineering and technical personnel who will carry out safety related tasks on the navigation system are competent to carry out those tasks in accordance with ESARR 5 and EU Implementing Regulation 1035/2011.
- Evidence that the operation and maintenance of the navigation system is in accordance with Annex 10, Volume 1 and ICAO Doc 8071.