‘Air Traffic Services' is defined as "the various flight information services, alerting services, air traffic advisory services and ATC services (area, approach and aerodrome control services)"; EC Regulation 549/2004
The operation and maintenance of Air Traffic Services in Ireland is subject to a number of ICAO, EC and Irish Regulations, Standards and Recommended practices. Relevant legislation includes:
- ICAO Annex 11 to the convention on International Civil Aviation, (Air Traffic Services). ICAO publications can be purchased via the ICAO website
- Single European Sky legislation; Regulations which cover the essential elements for a seamless European Air Traffic Management System together with Commission Regulation 1035/2011 which lays down common requirements for the provision of air navigation services and specific requirements for the provision of air traffic services.
- Eurocontrol Safety Regulatory Requirements (ESARRs).
- Irish Aviation Authority (Air Traffic Control Standards) Order 2004
- Directions issued by the IAA in pursuance of applicable Statutory Orders
The provision of Air Traffic Services in Ireland in subject to certification and ongoing oversight in accordance with EC Single European Sky Legislation.