The operation and maintenance of meteorological services for Air Navigation in Ireland is subject to a number of ICAO and EC Regulations, Standards and Recommended practices. Relevant documents include:
- ICAO Annex 3 to the convention on International Civil Aviation, (Meteorological Service for International Air Navigation). ICAO publications can be purchased via ICAO publications.
- ICAO Doc 9328 (Manual of Runway Visual Range Observing and Reporting Practices). ICAO publications can be purchased via ICAO Website.
- Commission Regulation 1035/2011 which lays down common requirements for the provision of air navigation services.
The Safety Regulation Division (SRD) of the Irish Aviation Authority has been nominated as the National Supervisory Authority for Ireland. SRD regulates the provision of Meteorological Services to Air Navigation in accordance with Commission Regulation (EC) No 1035/2011.
Commission Regulation (EC) No 1035/2011 specifies requirements for providers of meteorological services to air navigation in the following areas.
- Technical and operational competence and capability.
- Organisational structure and management
- Safety and quality management.
- Human resources.
- Financial strength.
- Liability and insurance cover.
- Quality of services.
- Reporting requirements.
- Working methods and operating procedures.